List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqy's explorer-like extended selection mode best choice ?
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-10 15:28:32

On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 08:38:20PM +0200, aleXXX wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, Dawit A wrote:
> >On Fri, 07 Apr 2000, aleXXX wrote:
> >
> >> I think we should use a simpler selection mode:
> >> shift+arrow: toggle selection of current item and move to next
> >> arrow: move to next item without changing selection
> >> And konqy has shortcuts for deselecting/toggling selection of all files.
> >>
> >> Any opinions ?
> >
> >It was even much simpler in kfm.  Have you tried it there ?? You simply use the
> >space bar to mark the selections you want and move the arrow keys to the
> >selection you need !! IMHO I think we need to port that keyboard
> >navigation/selection into konqy if possible.  I will look at it when I get a
> >chance...
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Dawit A.
>
> Ahh, nice my mail got through, I thought the server here had some problems.
>
> Ehhm, a hint: the so called "MultiSelectionMode" (not "Extended Mode")  works
> almost as simple, with a single strange exception:
> shift+arrow doesn't mean "toggle selection of current item and move to next",
> but "keep selection of current item, move to the next item and toggle the
> selection of this item" (at least up to qt 2.1 beta 3)

For the keyboard usage MultiSelectionMode would be ok. For usage with the mouse
it's not. Selection by dragging can't be used together with DND. You still need
the mouse behaviour of the ExtendedMode for selection.

I think there should be a standard way to clear a selection too. I know you can
hit Ctrl-U in Konqueror to do it, but it should be in the (Q|K)ListView. That way
you can use it in all the applications using the listview behave the same.

> To me very strange and I already wrote Reggie about it.
> IMHO the MultiSelectionMode should change and then we should simple use this
> one.
>
> Anybody else has an opinion ?

We need to know the scenario's in which QListView is used. For konqy's textview
for example there is no mode which you can use right, while a listview is often
used in the same situations. Off course you can reimplement the mouse- and
keyPressEvent's again and again, but then you end up with applications all
behaving slightly different.

Some scenario's I can think of:
1) single selection only: You can pick an item from the list. When you click it
   nothing happens. SingleSelection is the right mode for this.
2) single selection with action on click: The same as above, but when you click
   on an item, an action is made. For example change to a directory, or show a
   message. SingleSelection could suffice in this case too.
3) multiple selection only: Same as 1), except that you can select multiple
   items. This is what MultiSelection is meant for (I think).
4) multiple selection with action on click: Now it becomes horder.
5) 4)+DND: konqy's textview. This isn't easy anymore :-(

So it's far from trivial. But it is an important issue IMO.

Greetings,
Wilco