List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Arts occupies sound device
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       2000-04-07 14:41:40

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Michael Reiher wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just fought with my real player, because it didnīt want to play any
> > videos anymore. In the end I found that artsd somehow blocks the sound
> > device and the real player canīt use it anymore. Killing artsd made it
> > work again.
>
> Yes, this is going to be entirely unacceptable for general use.  Esound
> manages to share the /dev/audio and /dev/dsp devices.

Well, I think that artsd should be the single instance which controls the
physical sound device. It is no good idea to give it up to other
daemons/programs because this makes artsd mixing/sytheses capabilities
void.

IMHO there are three solutions.

1.) Change the other applications to use artsd via arstd native interface
2.) Use the artscat approach
3.) Invent a number of virtual devices which are internally handled by
user space artsd.

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Stauffenbergstr. 107, 72074 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  The most advanced GUI for a reliable OS.