List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Arts occupies sound device
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-04-07 14:21:44

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

> First of all: why can they not become aRts aware? Real adapted their player
> at least to some degree to KDE1.x - if aRts can offer a C Api that is really
> easy to use, then I see no reason why Real shouldn't make their player aRts
> aware.
Well, I didnīt say it canīt. I said we canīt expect it. If they do it,
fine but what if they donīt? Further more this was just an example (for
many other legacy apps) which just came across my way.

> That also would be the model "sharing with other clients". Believe me, things
> will only be fun when artsd becomes at least as widespread as esd. With a
> KDE-only-and-maybe-sometimes-when-nobody-objects audioserver we won't win
> anything. I have already a working version of Quake running on aRts, once
> the C Api is finalized, I'll publish this (and maybe code for important
> things like XMMS, too).
Sure, there is a good probability that arts becomes wide spread, just
because KDE is used on most linux systems. But but again you canīt
predict how many developers will care about it and make their software
arts aware.

> If somebody wants to work on the C Api, please do. If not, well, I'll do it
> sooner or later (there are some issues to fix, before).
>
> Regarding the blocking the audio device. Yes, I know, its in the TODO. There
> will be some way or other. Sometime. kdelibs/arts/doc/TODO quote:
Ahh, didnīt know that. But I think this is really needed. Simply as
fallback for apps that, however, ignore the existence of arts.

Greets

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology

"Beware the woods at night, beware the lunar light!"