List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] faster Makefile.in -> Makefile translation
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-04-02 19:10:36

>That's the problem left. acinclude.m4.in is currently licensed LGPL, so we
>can't simply put autoconf macros there. We could think of relicensing,
>but I first want to work on different solutions to get our KDE_OUTPUT
>working.  After all _requiring_ perl isn't that a bad option - the FSF doesn't
>want to require perl as it's not their code, but that doesn't need to hinder
>KDE.

Perhaps it's time to replace autoconf with something of our own creation?
Most of the tests we use autoconf for are to locate various headers, or
libraries, or supported compiler flags, this is but a minimal subset of
autoconf.  This job is made even easier by the fact that KDE compiles only
on a small subset of the available compilers (a few versions of gcc, and
perhaps Sun's CC?).

- alex