List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] faster Makefile.in -> Makefile translation
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-04-02 19:07:37

>I'm willing to work on a KDE specific solution, which does not use any sed
>(right now config.h is created the old way), but requires perl.

My two cents: perl has become nearly a requirement for a lot of other
things.  While I'm not a big fan of the language itself, it comes bundled
with most Linux distributions, and is easily buildable on any platform that
KDE even comes close to running on.  Perhaps this is an off the wall
suggestion, but what about the perl to C "compiler"?  Couldn't someone drop
in a binary to replace the perl script and distribute that for people who
are against installing perl?  (Yes, yes, yes, binaries are a bad idea, but
still).

>Meanwhile there has popped up a problem with srcdir==builddir (who is
>using that? ;) ). The VPATH substitution does not work in this case.
>Quick fix is in attachment.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing support for this dropped either.  Perhaps
by default configure could create a subdir "obj" to stick all of the object
files in?  This means that to solve any weird dependency or build problems,
one could just rm -rf obj, and rerun configure et. al.

- alex