List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Home?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-18 14:04:21

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 02:53:09PM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Home is used in two different contexts within KDE. One
> is the Home directory and one is the Home key. These can't
> be mixed by using "Home" for both of them as they have
> quite drasticly different translations. ("Pos1" and
> "Pers. Verzeichnis" for German).
>
> Now KStdActions defines "Home" as a standard action with
> the label 'Go to the "Home" position or document.'
> Konqueror uses this to go to the $HOME directory - which
> is wrong from my point of view. Now the question I ask myself
> is, if konqueror is wrong or if the KStdAction is not
> defined specific enough. We can't definitly not use "Home"
> to be more than one thing as this word has not less than 6
> meanings in German alone ("Zuhause", "nach Hause", "Heimat",
> "Heim", "Haus", "Ausgangsposition" - looked up at dict.leo.org)
;-)

I would say konqueror is right (heh, what do you expect from me ?) ;-)
It simply uses the Home key to go to the Home directory (which btw
can be anything, not only $HOME). In a word processor for instance,
the Home key is used to go to the beginning of the document
(which has nothing to do with a house, agreed). But since the text
is set in the application (unless I'm wrong), what is the problem ?
The fact that the same action (=the same shortcut) is used ?
I don't see a problem there...

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org