List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    khtml
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-03-18 14:12:37

Hi there,

I'm currently a bit short of time, because I'll have to finish my thesis
in the next 5 weeks, and there are a few essential features in khtml
missing.

I'm shortly going to list them here, and hope we'll find someone who is
interested in implementing them.

Apart from general bugfixes, the most needed features are:

* text selection.

I started some work on it, but the stuff is not very well thought
through. text selection needs some support in the rendering tree, and I'm
at the moment a bit clueless on how to implement that best. Antti, do you
have any idea?

* printing support

We will need to be able to pipe some html page to the printer. I'm not
sure, how printing support is handled in konqueror, but we will need some
support for that in khtml too. What one should do for that is construct a
second rendering tree with metrics according to the printers layout, and
find the right points for page breaks. Then I think most can be done by
just painting the page to a QPainter. It would be great, if we could get
support for printer specific CSS stuff, but that can wait until later.

* keyboard navigation

This is probably easier to implement, but it'll need some work too. Two
things are quite important IMO: to be able to navigate through links by
keyboard, and be able to fill out forms completely by keyboard.

* make the setXXX methods in khtml_part work.

Most important ones are here: setUserStyleSheet, setFontSizes. These
shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Some more internal things:

* better CSS support, especially concerning box layouting (margins,
borders, relative and absolute positioning). The CSS test suite on
www.w3.org shows the problems quite nicely. If someone want's to help
with these things, he should coordinate your work with Antti, as Antti's
doing quite a lot of work in this area.

* we need some nice method, which automatically get's called after every
change in the DOM tree, and does a relayout/repaint of the parts of the
document that changed due to the changes in the DOM tree. This will be
needed to make our jscript engine really useful.

I'm sure there are lots of other small changes I forgot, but these are the
biggest ones, and as I will have almost no time until end of April, I at
least wanted to post the missing things here, and I just hope some people
will find one of these topics a nice task to implement.

I'll be always available in case someone has questions on khtml, but
expect my commits to go down to almost zero in the next 1 1/2 months.

Lars