List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    hrmpf! essential libs/apps screwed
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-03-15 0:36:37

Hi

I just got busted today by a fervent supporter of KDE (in a corporate
environment) about the fact that KDE2 isn't able even to configure the
general fonts of the desktop. He insidiously pointed me to the fact that
gnome does it right :-(

I investigated a bit and it seems to me (after a fast code
browsing) that in all the rush of vamping over central KDE
functionalities, during the huge kinstance/kglobal/kapp hap, some things
got royally screwed up.

For instance, kdeglobals isn't created anymore when changes related to it
are induced from kcontrol. Specifically, setting a font does nothing. Try
it. From the code, I can say that '_rcfile', a default param in many
global settings from kcontrol, gets initialized to QString::null (default
param) and it's never forced to equal "kdeglobals". In fact,
kcontrol/desktop/fonts supposes it's set by KGlobal in a default call of
type KConfig *config = KGlobal::config(), KGlobal equals it to an
_instance::config() (which returns a KInstance object data member), and
KInstance does nothing to it.

What gives? Or, please, prove me wrong. Otherwise, right now, KControl is
quite seriously damaged.

Cristian Tibirna