List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: hrmpf! essential libs/apps screwed
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-03-15 10:39:23

Let me add another rant ;-)

Has someone tried starting a kde app _without_ running the full KDE
desktop? I tried with konqueror and got the following results:

First try: konqueror starts up, but complains about missing mimetypes, and
does basically nothing.

Then I ran kbuildsycoca by hand, to get around the missing
mimetypes. Which user would guess about this command???

Next try starting konqueror again: konqueror crashes with the following
error:
DCOPClient: got a DCOPReplyFailed opcode.
konqueror: Can't launch kioslave: 'KLauncher could not be reached via
DCOP.
'
konqueror: couldn't create slave 353 <null>
Aborted

Not very user friendly. After running kdeinit (who would guess the missing
KLauncher is kdeinit?), I was finally able to run konqueror.

Ok, so I browsed a bit using konqueror, and then at some point quit the
app, and guess what's left over (quoting the relevant part from ps):

19511  p7 S    0:00 kdeinit: klauncher
19512  p7 S    0:00 kdeinit: Running...
19515  p7 S    0:00 kdeinit: kcookiejar
19517  p7 S    0:00 kioslave
19518  p7 S    0:00 kioslave

So konqueror started these 5 processes, and didn't clean them up after
him, when I exited it. Ok, it couldn't possibly clean up kdeinit, but the
kioslaves and the cookiejar should get cleaned up automatically.

So to summarize: It is at the moment (for a normal user) impossible to use
kde apps from a non kde environment. And then even if he manages to do so,
he's left with 5 non used processes after he finished using the kde
application.

Is that really user friendly?

Lars