List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible Feature.
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-01-26 21:22:07

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Mosfet wrote:
>
> > Yes, I guess, but I don't know it it would really be good in KDE if I
> > understand correctly. The problems are first many apps have several
> > toolbars by default and having only one docked I think would be
> > confusing,
>
> Let's make some measurements :-)
> Anything that can go into two rows of a average size window can go into a
> side toolbar, according to my measuring tape (and my guessing of what a
> average width window is ;-)
>
> If there are even more toolbars, they can be stacked at the side too. They
> will still be easier to reach than if they are stacked into the window
> (but I'm not 100% sure)
>
> > and second is that the Mac menu is on the left and the
> > toolbar on the right. There would not be space for both on low-res
> > displays for some large apps I believe - although I haven't checked.
>
> Of course in low resolution, the toolbars on the window leave you with a
> poststamp-size working space, too :-)
>
> On the side, the toolbars could have a meaningful autohide mechanism,
> much better than collapsing them in the window.

Are you talking about vertically aligned? I don't like that at all.

> > This is largely a problem with the fact that we all use a hell of a lot
> > of icons in our toolbars when it should only be the most common actions.
> > Instead it seems people duplicate most of the menu items ;-) This is
> > going to become a problem when we add large toolbar icons as well.
>
> I agree (and I confess ;-)
>
> > Another idea I saw mentioned on one of these lists I liked is a
> > universal status window that contains status messages of all the apps.
> > Could be useful for paying attention to what is going on in windows on
> > other desktops. I don't think this should replace the application
> > specific statusbar since you want to be able see the last message in a
> > specific window, but would be a cool supplement, maybe implemented via
> > dcop calls in KStatusBar.
>
> I am not so sure about this. After all, what is it going to show?
> If it will show the state of the current window, you can see it on, well,
> the current window :-)

No, the messages sent to all statusbars via changeItem and message. That
way you can see when a window on another desktop displays text in it's
statusbar.

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org