List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible Feature.
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-01-26 21:33:05

   Hi!

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 03:08:21PM -0600, Mosfet wrote:
> Another idea I saw mentioned on one of these lists I liked is a
> universal status window that contains status messages of all the apps.
> Could be useful for paying attention to what is going on in windows on
> other desktops. I don't think this should replace the application
> specific statusbar since you want to be able see the last message in a
> specific window, but would be a cool supplement, maybe implemented via
> dcop calls in KStatusBar.

If you somebody wants to work on that, please look at knotify, which
currently resides in kdenonbeta/knotify. It should be the right thing
for that.

Applications should send out their notifications to knotify. Something like

kwin: switched to Desktop5
kmail: there is new mail
icq: there is somebody interesting on icq
konlinewatch: you are already onine for 60 minutes

The user can later configure how those notifications should be handled (play
a sound, log to logfile, pop up a messagebox, do everything). It has an DCOP
interface and interoperates with aRts already.

But a good configuration scheme is missing. And it probably should be moved
to a more useful place (kdebase/libs).

   Cu... Stefan