List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing alternative
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-01-26 21:14:46

   Hi!

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 09:09:03AM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> So I'll go along with this.
>
> If nobody objects, I will start sweeping through KDE changing the GPL
> licenses in headers to include that clause (I won't touch LGPL,
> Artistic, BSD, X, etc licenses).

Doing this on a when-nobody-objects base won't work. The idea is, that
the clause should only be contained in code where

 * all authors want that their code is linked to QPL
 * all authors want to have that extra clause in their code

Mechanically changing licenses of other people without their consent doesn't
clarify anything. It only looks like a doubtful licensing practice ...

As it seems from the discussion, there are different opinions. The only one
who can decide how to handle the license of certain piece of code is the one
who wrote it.

My proposal was an "in the long run" proposal by the way. If most people
would start using clear licenses (like BSD,LGPL,GPL+"except clause") for
their code, and not simply use GPLd code without asking, we could expect
to have a cleanly licensed KDE sometime. This may not be KDE2.0.

   Cu... Stefan