List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIOSlaves
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-01-20 23:18:25

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > > Does Lars has an idea how to implement this? I can imaging two
> > > ways: * Queue requests without actually starting them before all
> > > higher priority requests have been finished. (This is easy)
> > > * Throttle, e.g. tell an IO-slave not to receive any data or to
> > > receive not more than XX bytes/sec. (This sounds difficult)

I just thought of queueing them. So you just have to sort your queue by
priority. Shouldn't be too hard IMO.

> > Yes, we queue them and start a timer to actually schedule them. If we
> > start, we know how many jobs we have to work on, how many connections
> > we can open at the same time and which priorities we have to care of.
> > This should be quite copy&paste from a SMP unix kernel ;-)
>
> I suggest to default to use 1 slave per host/protocol until the slave
> indicates that a higher number of connections are allowed in paralel.

Hmmm... for http, 2 connections at the same time are explicitly allowed,
and needed in case of html pages, since one should start downloading style
sheets as soon as possible (_while_ the main page is still loading).
Without having downloaded all style sheets, khtml can't start rendering,
so they should arrive as fast as possible.

Cheers,
Lars