List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: admin/ subdir
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-29 19:57:36

Stephan Kulow wrote:
[snip]
> This is just about sources. You do not store the sources unless you're
> a developer.

This is more about bandwith and FTP space.  I go to thinking about
this when I wanted to supply the "before" and "after" example apps for
a tutorial.  Each was nearly .5 M -- that means that if I wanted to
package everything up in one big tarball, the user would have to
download an extra 500K (already compressed) for nothing!

Plus, it wouldn't fit on my personal web site.  This isn't a huge deal
for me since it's going somewhere else later anyway.. but this could
be a big deal for somebody just starting out with KDE programming with
their first app.

I know it's tempting to forget about all of the 14.4K and 28.8K and
56K modem users when you have a high speed connection,  but let me
remind you that downloading and extra 1/2 Megabyte is still a
significant download.

> The standard thing other projects to is to get rid of all automake
> stuff in CVS and call automake --add-missing and libtoolize which
> basicly create links to each needed file. But this in return
> requires everyone to have the right version of each file and I like
> that solution way less.

Well, we already require specific versions of the KDE libraries and
support libraries.  Why not automake/autoconf?  I know that you have
worlds more experience in this area then me, but I don't see the
difference or what the problem is...
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix