List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: admin/ subdir
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-29 18:16:46

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> The new and improved automake/autoconf build infrastructure for KDE
> and KDE apps is pretty slick... but is also *very* big.  Try creating
> a bare skeleton of an app using kapptemplate, for instance.  Then
> delete the po/ and src directory leaving ONLY the generic non-app-
> specific stuff.  Now do a 'du'
>
> That's right, the support files take up nearly 1 MEGABYTE.  Even
> compressed with gzip or bzip2, we end up with nearly a quarter
> megabyte.. and this is before we add a single line of code!
>
> Now I know *why* the files are so big and I'm not suggesting that we
> do away with any bit of them.
>
> I am suggesting that including the admin/ directory (500K alone!) with
> each KDE application is extreme overkill.
>
> What I suggest we do is have ONE standard admin directory and store it
> in our $KDEDIR tree.  Maybe $KDEDIR/share/admin or something similar.
> kdelibs would be responsible for installing it's own admin subdir
> (which, of course, is the standard one) into there.  From then on, ALL
> complient KDE packages would use that one.
>
> Two possible ways to do that would be:
>
> 1) Have configure search in $KDEDIR/share/admin in addition to 'admin
>    $srcdir/admin' like it currently does.  Change all other files to
>    look in that dir, also.
>
> or
>
> 2) Have configure create a symbolic link from $KDEDIR/share/admin to
>    $srcdir/admin and go on with business like normal.
>
> Doing this would save a LOT of space and bandwith once KDE2 comes out
> and more apps start using this infrastructure.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

This is just about sources. You do not store the sources unless you're
a developer. The standard thing other projects to is to get rid of all
automake stuff in CVS and call automake --add-missing and libtoolize
which basicly create links to each needed file. But this in return
requires
everyone to have the right version of each file and I like that solution
way less.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.