List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    admin/ subdir
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-28 20:19:28

The new and improved automake/autoconf build infrastructure for KDE
and KDE apps is pretty slick... but is also *very* big.  Try creating
a bare skeleton of an app using kapptemplate, for instance.  Then
delete the po/ and src directory leaving ONLY the generic non-app-
specific stuff.  Now do a 'du'

That's right, the support files take up nearly 1 MEGABYTE.  Even
compressed with gzip or bzip2, we end up with nearly a quarter
megabyte.. and this is before we add a single line of code!

Now I know *why* the files are so big and I'm not suggesting that we
do away with any bit of them.

I am suggesting that including the admin/ directory (500K alone!) with
each KDE application is extreme overkill.

What I suggest we do is have ONE standard admin directory and store it
in our $KDEDIR tree.  Maybe $KDEDIR/share/admin or something similar.
kdelibs would be responsible for installing it's own admin subdir
(which, of course, is the standard one) into there.  From then on, ALL
complient KDE packages would use that one.

Two possible ways to do that would be:

1) Have configure search in $KDEDIR/share/admin in addition to 'admin
   $srcdir/admin' like it currently does.  Change all other files to
   look in that dir, also.

or

2) Have configure create a symbolic link from $KDEDIR/share/admin to
   $srcdir/admin and go on with business like normal.

Doing this would save a LOT of space and bandwith once KDE2 comes out
and more apps start using this infrastructure.

Thoughts? Comments?
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix