List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Strategy for integrating the Nana debugging library
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-12-21 17:57:32

David Faure wrote:

> > On Son, 19 Dez 1999, David Faure wrote:
> !!! I suggested the improvement and said I would do it !
> Don't you trust me I'll do it ?
> I haven't done it yet because I feel that it's not yet decided whether
> we keep it or not, I wouldn't want to waste my time on this for nothing.
>
> > > This would be a lot easier than keeping adding and removing
> > > debug output from the apps all the time, which we do currently.
> >
> > the debug output is right now removed because it slows things down,
> > especially when kdebug is used.
> ... and compiling everything with debug info eats a lot of memory,
> makes the machine swap, and in the end slows it down as well.
>
> > nana seems to be nicer because it only slows down when the code is
> compiled
> > with debug information and it actually makes sense to search for bugs.
> I have a completely different opinion on this, because I don't want
> to recompile all of KDE with debug info just to find a bug that
> a printf would show me !
> But it seems we have completely different ways to debug...
Please guys, calm down. The topic is not worth it.
I will redirect Nanas messages (optionally, of course, you will see).
David will add file and line no. to kdebugs output. This is a lot of
debugging functionality for KDE, that is the main point.
And NDEBUG will erase all :-)
Greetings,
--Mirko.
PS:
> With nana, it's really a "everything or nothing" situation
> (depending on -g). You can't turn off every lib except the one you're
> debugging,
Well, this is wrong, Nana does not depend on -g. It depends on
-WITHOUT_NANA. Everything created is real code, except gdb interaction,
of course. You might add a default GUARD (boolean value) to your app
that is switchable from the menu to enable or disable logging. Do not
confuse this. It is a POSSIBILITY to remove the statements through the
preprocessor.

--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis