List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Strategy for integrating the Nana debugging library
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-21 18:31:11

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 05:46:27PM +0000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> David Faure wrote:

> > debug
> > > Can't we just make kdebug a 0 macro with NDEBUG?
> > Sure we can (and it's the case currently, even in my draft), but if we do
> > that
> > then a developer can't ask a user "please turn debug output on", like
> > Torben pointed out. That's what I wanted to address...

> No, NDEBUG should really spend 0 time for debug, not even checking for
> a flag.
Ok, boss, as you want. :-)
But then what Torben said remains true : no way to ask a user
for debug output...

I'd say : while there are bugs, let's keep a way to turn debug output
on, and we'll define it to void when all bugs are fixed and KDE is perfect.
But laws of software engineering show that no software is ever perfect/finished :-)

> But all these snapshot users shouldn't use -g for debug output
Granted. One of the reasons for kdebug.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org