David Faure wrote: > > > On Son, 19 Dez 1999, David Faure wrote: > !!! I suggested the improvement and said I would do it ! > Don't you trust me I'll do it ? > I haven't done it yet because I feel that it's not yet decided whether > we keep it or not, I wouldn't want to waste my time on this for nothing. > > > > This would be a lot easier than keeping adding and removing > > > debug output from the apps all the time, which we do currently. > > > > the debug output is right now removed because it slows things down, > > especially when kdebug is used. > ... and compiling everything with debug info eats a lot of memory, > makes the machine swap, and in the end slows it down as well. > > > nana seems to be nicer because it only slows down when the code is > compiled > > with debug information and it actually makes sense to search for bugs. > I have a completely different opinion on this, because I don't want > to recompile all of KDE with debug info just to find a bug that > a printf would show me ! > But it seems we have completely different ways to debug... Please guys, calm down. The topic is not worth it. I will redirect Nanas messages (optionally, of course, you will see). David will add file and line no. to kdebugs output. This is a lot of debugging functionality for KDE, that is the main point. And NDEBUG will erase all :-) Greetings, --Mirko. PS: > With nana, it's really a "everything or nothing" situation > (depending on -g). You can't turn off every lib except the one you're > debugging, Well, this is wrong, Nana does not depend on -g. It depends on -WITHOUT_NANA. Everything created is real code, except gdb interaction, of course. You might add a default GUARD (boolean value) to your app that is switchable from the menu to enable or disable logging. Do not confuse this. It is a POSSIBILITY to remove the statements through the preprocessor. > -- > David Faure > faure@kde.org - KDE developer > david@mandrakesoft.com - Mandrake > david.faure@cramersystems.com - Cramer Systems -- Denn der Mensch liebt und ehrt den Menschen, solange er ihn nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis mangelhafter Erkenntnis. (Thomas Mann)