List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Progress reporting and kioslaves
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-21 12:33:37

Don Sanders wrote:

> I have a 'working' implementation of background mail checking in KMail using
> the pop3 kioslave. (I say 'working" as it's pretty flaky except when I try to
> debug it then it works fine).
>
> I want to give some visual indication of progress while background mail checking
> is in progress. The preferred way, IMO, would be to show a progress bar in
> the status bar. The kioslaves only seem to be able to show progress for the
> current job (eg individual mail message being downloaded). Is this right, and
> if so does this mean the progress indicator support for kioslaves is not
> useful in KMail? I think in KMail there really should be an indication of the
> total amount of work remaining to be done.
>
> Actually things aren't that simple. KMail allows for multiple accounts, with
> background mail checking multiple accounts may be checked simultaneously. I
> figure the best way to handle this is by showing multiple progress dialogs in
> the status bar at the same time (one for each account being checked).

As I said before: I suggest that kmail doesn't use KIOJob but controls
the
pop3 slave itself. Then it can just fetch the informations the slaves
serve
and make sure the right way is used to display these informations.
KIOJob is
done for 90% of the apps - pop3 access in kmail is definitly in the
other 10% :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.