List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Progress reporting and kioslaves
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-12-20 23:55:08

I have a 'working' implementation of background mail checking in KMail using
the pop3 kioslave. (I say 'working" as it's pretty flaky except when I try to
debug it then it works fine).

I want to give some visual indication of progress while background mail checking
is in progress. The preferred way, IMO, would be to show a progress bar in
the status bar. The kioslaves only seem to be able to show progress for the
current job (eg individual mail message being downloaded). Is this right, and
if so does this mean the progress indicator support for kioslaves is not
useful in KMail? I think in KMail there really should be an indication of the
total amount of work remaining to be done.

Actually things aren't that simple. KMail allows for multiple accounts, with
background mail checking multiple accounts may be checked simultaneously. I
figure the best way to handle this is by showing multiple progress dialogs in
the status bar at the same time (one for each account being checked).

BFN,
Don.