List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-12-09 6:38:06

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 David Faure wrote:
> > >I think that when one applications wants to use another one,
> > >it should use KParts (the next one) and load the other app's shared lib,
> > >instead of using DCOP - for the same reasons that we dropped CORBA.
> >
> > Which reasons?
>
> If the component, which is to be controlled, has a graphical user
> interface, then embedding is probably the way to go. No need to mention
> reasons why using CORBA or DCOP is probably not the best solution for
> that.

No, if they are both KDE applications, I agree that KParts is what should
be used.

> However if a game programmer wants to play midi without bringing up
> KMidi's GUI for example, then a DCOP interface sounds like the way to go
> (IMHO) .

That's one of the points (leaving apart that I'm finishing a midi library
which will be used for that "easily" :-) ).
The other one is when you want to control an application with an script
(using Kurt's amazing kxmlrpcd ).

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez