List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: After KRASH bookmark ideas
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-12-09 4:29:20

On Wed, 08 Dec 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > > How about a view similar to the treeview?  The user could rename and
> > > reorder the bookmarks right there and the view could just write out
> > > the SortOrder based on the changed order of it's children.
> >
> > Ahhh ... very interesting idea.  I was going to ask about this.  The
> > only thing I really kind of like about IE is that the search/
> > History/Favorites(MS way of saying bookmark ?) is done much the same
> > way you are proposing here.  I think it would be a really good idea
> > to implement it in such fashion.  It might even made to be added as
> > another entry on the treeview itself, just like ftp etc ...
> > David/Simon, is something like this feasible ??
>
> I believe you are thinking of the dirtree -- not the treeview :-)

Sorry, I always get these two mixed up :)

> I suggested a treeview based on QListView as that is essentially what
> we are doing now.  The problem with our current iconview is that
> rearranging the entries is a bit difficult.  A listview/treeview would
> make that quite easy.

I see.  You are then only addressing the issue about what the user gets when
(s)he does Bookmark->Edit Bookmark ... But what about the concept of groups
to neatly categorize the bookmark entries as in Navigator ??  Also how do you
store the order/grouping info for these entries if modified by the user ?

> Viewing or modifying the bookmarks from the dirtree view is a quite
> different idea then I had :-)

Right.  Now I think I see what you were getting at and perhaps I got carried
away a little bit.

> > IMHO another interesting thing about this approach is that it can do
> > away with the need to store the bookmark files as .kdelnk files
> > since the user can manipulate the bookmarks in the view itself.
>
> I don't get this at all.  How would using a treeview free us from
> using .desktop files?

Ignore this.  It is inherently a bad idea and David will have fits :)
I now, after playing around, see why bookmarks are stored indivdually
like files. They can then be treated just like files by the user.  Consistency!

Regards,
Dawit A.