List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop interfaces, standard ?
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-12-08 22:55:49

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 Torben Weis wrote:

>In practice it often shows that dealing wirth multiple processes in a
>distributed object environment you get really big problems because
>it is so easy to make errors.

In practice it often shows that dealing with multiple 'programs'
in one address space you get really big problems.

* Programs arbitrarily modify other programs' name space
* Different programs may use different versions of the
  same library => clash
* Different programs may use the same symbol names => clash.
  Such problems are _really_ hard to find.
* Different programas need their own event loop => doesn't work.

Furthermore, I've already mentioned the license problem; and
of course, the problem of colliding i18n() strings is not solved
in the framework used by Konqueror or KOffice. It just works because
all components are maintained in one place.

>That is IMHO the difference between theory and practice :-)

The theory that's spreaded here is that shared libraries are the
silver bullet which solves all problems. My experience is different.
And KOffice is not a good example for communication between components
because it is maintained in one central place so that you can really test
how components work together. I want to use interfaces implemented
by programs which I've never seen. These are very different boundary
conditions.

Bernd.