List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: kded excluding dirs?
From:       weis <weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de>
Date:       1999-12-02 10:47:19

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 01:57:04PM +0000, David Faure wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> user
> > > If you do that you need a full copy of the
> mimetype+apps+services+servicetypes
> > stuff in ~/.kde, otherwise it won't work...
> >
> > ideally, kded shouldn't need to recreate the entire ksyscoca-file, but
> > instead only update/remove/add changed items.
> > But I guess you would have implemented that already, if it
> > would be easily possible. Otherwise, one could tell kded to not use
> KDirWatch on the
> > global stuff, but to restrict it to local files. If something changes,
> > well, recreate the entire ksycoca, but at least don't monitor
> > it all the time.
>
> No, that's not how kded/ksycoca has been designed.
> (If you want to do add/update/... you either need to keep things in kded's
> memory,
> which we don't want, and you can't just append something to the file since
> all indexes
> have to be updated).
>
> I think the best solution is to have an option "only scan user's dirs"
> that does what it says : only adds user's dirs to KDirWatch, not global
> dirs,
> but when the ksycoca file is recreated, it will recreate the whole file,
> reading the files on the global dir as well.
>
> The only case where this breaks is if admins decide to change a global file,
> but that's where the compromise is.
>
> OTOH since kded runs on startup, every one will get the new settings
> on the next logon.

IMHO that is a cool optimization. It will work quite well in large
environments with sysadmins (like university) while the current
method is better for peoples home workstation where they install
new software every second day in the global environment.

There comes a question to my mind: Did anybody test or at least
think about installing new apps (including binary and libs)
in a users home directory?

Bye
Torben