List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: services
From:       weis <weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de>
Date:       1999-12-02 10:49:28

Hi,

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to write my share for kde2arch and
> > I wonder about the difference between "services"
> > and "servicetypes" (btw, the s is very inconsistent)
> > myself.
> >
> > Can someone please put some more descriptive texts
> > into kstddirs.h than "services" and "service types"?
>
> (If not already done)
> kio/design.h contains a description of what services and servicetypes are.

If someone is interested in the more scientific stuff:
Look for all papers about traders. That is the area where
these words are used frequently.

In short:
A service type is like a class.
While a service is a specific implementation of that class.

The servicetype for example demands certain APIs and features.
And every service that implements this servicetype must feature
these APIs etc.

Bye
Torben