List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kded excluding dirs?
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-12-02 9:59:04

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 09:12:25AM -0000, David Faure wrote:

Hi,

> No, that's not how kded/ksycoca has been designed.
> (If you want to do add/update/... you either need to keep things in kded's
> memory,
> which we don't want, and you can't just append something to the file since
> all indexes
> have to be updated).

Yes, that's what I meant - update the entire ksycoca, but don't
read everything again. If this means updating of all indices, well
it's probably still faster than rereading all the desktop-files
again.
But then, I still don't know if this is at all possible, so I
better shut up now :)

> I think the best solution is to have an option "only scan user's dirs"
> that does what it says : only adds user's dirs to KDirWatch, not global
> dirs,
> but when the ksycoca file is recreated, it will recreate the whole file,
> reading the files on the global dir as well.

Yes, and maybe an option to change the 1s-timer of KDirWatch?

> The only case where this breaks is if admins decide to change a global file,
> but that's where the compromise is.

Sure, this is acceptable, IHMO.

> OTOH since kded runs on startup, every one will get the new settings
> on the next logon.

Yup.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer