List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kioslave/ftp
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-11-30 22:12:18

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> Yes, the connection appears to stay open.  But then if I click on some
> directory, this is what follows:
>
> KonqMainView::openURL : _url = 'ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.1'
> KonqKfmIconView::stop()
> KDE detected X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
>   Major opcode:  17
>  ********** KonqChildView::run
> kio (KIOJob): No matching slave, no matching protocol - protocol (ftp)
> KIOJob::createSlave : Slave got
> kio (KIOJob): TRYING TO START /usr/bin/kio_ftp
>  trying m_strSlave...Pass
>  m_strSlavePass ok (1)
> kio_ftp: Starting
> kio_ftp: Ftp::Ftp()
> kio_ftp: =============== slotTestDir ==============
> kio_ftp: resp> 220 FTP server ready.
>
> kio_ftp: Connected ....
> kio_ftp: user anonymous
> kio_ftp: resp> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as
> password.
>
> kio_ftp: New pass is 'kfm-user@kde.org'
> kio_ftp: pass kfm-user@kde.org
> kio_ftp: resp> 530-Anonymous user limit reached, see
> http://www.redhat.com/mirrors.html
>
> kio_ftp: 530 Login incorrect.
>
> kio_ftp: Wrong password
> kio_ftp: Could not login
> kio_ftp:  =========== ERROR ========
>
> I.e. it tried to log in again.
>
> BTW, the gear never stopped spinning after I saw the debug output "quit"
> in the first URL.  It probably should, right?

Yeah, I experienced this, too. The reason is simple and strange together
;-)
try ftp updates.redhat.com in your bash, cd into the 6.1 directory and
list it. For me the list command *never* finishes. It never returns to the
prompt.

This also explains why a new kioslave is launched, instead of keeping the
"open" connection. Your kioslave is only put back into the ioslave pool
(for caching) when the finished() signal is emitted/called (after an
operation, from the kioslave itself) . This however doesn't take place, as
the list command never finished (it endlessly waits for a final response
from the ftp server that the list command is finished) .

I consider it to be a bug (or whatever ;) in the ftp server that it
doesn't "return" after the list command.

Bye,
 Simon

P.S.: The spinning wheel will stop as soon as the ftp operation finished
      (or ended up in an error) -- however as the ftp server hang, the
      wheel can't stop ;-)