List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kioslave/ftp
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-12-01 0:54:09

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
[snipped]

> Yeah, I experienced this, too. The reason is simple and strange together
> ;-)
> try ftp updates.redhat.com in your bash, cd into the 6.1 directory and
> list it. For me the list command *never* finishes. It never returns to the
> prompt.
>
> This also explains why a new kioslave is launched, instead of keeping the
> "open" connection. Your kioslave is only put back into the ioslave pool
> (for caching) when the finished() signal is emitted/called (after an
> operation, from the kioslave itself) .
>
> This however doesn't take place, as the list command never finished (it
> endlessly waits for a final response from the ftp server that the list
> command is finished).
>
> I consider it to be a bug (or whatever ;) in the ftp server that it
> doesn't "return" after the list command.
>
> Bye,
>  Simon
>
> P.S.: The spinning wheel will stop as soon as the ftp operation finished
>       (or ended up in an error) -- however as the ftp server hang, the
>       wheel can't stop ;-)

Hmmm ... There must be something else wrong here, because I do not get the same
result as yours.  I tried the same site (ftp://updates.redhat.com) with a shell ftp client,
kfm and konqy.  It is only konqy that seems to have the problem.  In my case konqy never
finsihes lisitng the deafult listing for the site.  I have attached the output from both konqy
and ftp-client below.  BTW, I tried this site with grandpa kfm :) and a shell ftp client and
have no problems.  Perhaps I should try it in the morning and see if there is a difference.

Regards,
Dawit A.
["result.tgz" (application/x-gzip)]