List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Ideas
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-27 13:16:42

Hi,

browsing through the KDE Developers Interview comments on /., I found some
ideas that are worth to consider. I post them here so I hope that they won't
get lost :)

I know that some of them are already implemented or technically not
possible, don't tell me that. I was just to lazy to separate them from the
rest.

<quote>

I have pondered a few ideas that would make my desktop a lot more
useful. Certainly these should spark a few ideas of your own.

- The little icon in the top-left corner of most windows would be
much more useful if it were DND enabled. Wouldn't it be efficient to
move emacs, Netscape, or a shell window to another desktop by dragging its
icon to the "taskbar" button? Or even better, drag the icon for my
emacs window into an open Mozilla window (or the Mozilla icon) and have
the file I'm editing pop up instantly in the browser. Drag the
icon to the file manager and instantly manipulate the directory
where it's stored.

- Wouldn't it be sensible if the desktop showed the most recently
used documents instead of a duplicate of the menu?

- There is a terrible flaw IMHO in both Mac and Windows with the
action taken by double-clicking a document. Documents are always
registered with one specific application.
Because of the way applications install themselves, the ambiguous
command "open" may refer (mutually exclusively) to Netscape, LViewPro,
Photoshop, Visual Page, or a hex editor. The current context menus
do not solve the problem. If a document type is registered with more than
one application, double-clicking should bring up the context menu.

- "Find" should be on the context menu of every "directory" object.
Additionally, the "find" window should have the power and
flexibility of the shell version, including pipes.

</quote>

In addition I've read somewhere a very nice suggestion. It should be
possible to save an application window's position in a permanent matter,
i.e. when I re-start it (I'm not talking about the session management), it's
window always appears at the same position on the desktop.

I know that this is possible via the -geometry option, but hey, that's
non-intuitive. A more GUI-like configurability would be great (another entry
in the system menu? a Kcontrol module for it?).

Dirk