List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror plugins
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-11-20 11:28:58

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Matt Koss wrote:

> On Ut, 16 nov 1999, you wrote:
> >There are two kinds of plugins:
> >
> >1) Plugins being an implementation of the Konqueror/Plugin servicetype.
> >   These plugins are created via KLibLoader and given the KonqMainView as
> >   parent QObject, so that they get automatically get released and so that
> >   they also can access the mainview directly. (QObject::inherits() is
> >   your friend :-) -- That searcher plugin is an example, as you
> >   mentioned. It just installs an event filter and listens for that
> >   KonqURLEnterEvent.
> >

> In regard to 2.) does it mean that plugins of type 1.), e.g. the already
> existing search plugin, will not be accessible through menu ?
> How then ?

I guess the name "searcher" is probably misleading ;-)
It filters entered URLs in a pretty cool way. The simplest way to test
this is to simply type "KDE" in the locationbar :-) -- then you'll see
what it really does ;-)

(You can also (for example) type "fm:caitoo kde" , and Konqueror will
open up a freshmeat search, looking for "caitoo and kde")

Mosfet is working on another plugin AFAIK, which will add a button to
Konqueror's toolbar. This should be a plugin of type 2) then (IMHO) .

> >2) KPart plugins.
> >   You can add a pluginaction to the .rc file, which makes it possible to
> >   insert actions into Konqueror's GUI. So this is just like the above
> >   plugin, with the addition that you can insert an action (or two, or
> >   three, .. :) into the mainview's GUI :-)
> >   This however requires a direct modification of the .rc file :-(
> >   --> We should look for a additional solution in the new KParts.
> >

> >What kind of leech-file/caitoo plugin are you thinking of, Matt? :-)
>
> I had an idea that plugin is the way-to-go(tm).
>
> 1. Leech files :
> -----------
> When the web page is displayed, and you somehow select "leech files" plugin,
> all links from that page are displayed as a list, and user can select something
> to download.
> This is what Go!zilla does, but it gets all links from the page and displays
> them in a special window.
> We might use a simple konqueror window, which would display a list the same way
> as directory listing.

This sounds very much like type 2) of plugin :-)
(as I guess you want to add some menu/toolbar item, in order to make it
possible to "activate" the plugin via an action)

> 2. Caitoo plugin :
> For this I am not so sure, I just want to do something like we did in former
> CORBA framework. Something like event filtering, which would catch a copy
> events and pass them to Caitoo.
> I don't know whether this would be possible now or I should wait for new KParts
> to be finished.

Well, we could reintroduce that transferevent stuff, although IMHO it's
more like a hack.

Bye,
 Simon