List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave location
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       1999-11-13 20:59:59

Without even following the thread, I'd like to add my two cents to this
rather large discussion.  I think that it's a good idea to have some of
the basic protocols included in kdelibs (such as file, ftp and http), and
the rest included in some ioslave package (kdeioslaves?).

An even nicer idea IMO would be to make individual modules out of each
ioslave and then stick those in their own subdirectory on ftp.kde.org.
Grouping them all together is wholey unnecesary IMO, as someone who wants
to use the pop3 slave shouldn't have to install all possible ioslaves.

Lastly some method for retreiving them from www.kde.org or somesuch would
be really neat.  Or just some sort of smooth way to notify the user how to
install the proper protocol.

"The proper ioslave for protocol foobar3 couldn't be located.  If you've
already installed it, please make sure that it's in the proper directory
(/usr/local/kde/bin/).  If you haven't installed the ioslave for foobar3,
it can be found at http://www.kde.org/ioslaves.html)."

Of course, replacing /usr/local/kde/bin with the proper directory.

- alex

Experience something different
With our new imported dolly
She's lovely, warm, inflatable