List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Little evaluation of "kioslave location" thread
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-11-11 0:02:26

Matt Koss wrote:
> I would see only one other way then, and it is a creation of separate
> packages for some apps. Each package would contain only things that are needed.
> Even kdelibs package is big, if app doesn't need some libraries like kparts or
> libkab ( BTW what apps do really use libkab, except addressbook ? ).
> E.g. Caitoo doesn't need all kioslaves, only file, ftp and http slaves.
>
> Creation of these packages could be done by developers themselves, or could be
> somehow automated from CVS.
>
> Majority of KDE users will probably simply install kdelibs, kdebase etc
> But there are users who want to use only one app and who look closely what gets
> installed and who care about a disk space.
> This would be a way for them.
>
> Would this be possible ?  Any ideas ?

Maybe this is a poor idea, but wouldn't it be possible to split kdelibs into
several different distributable packages?  I'm going under the presumption
that most users are installing from packages (e.g. .deb, .rpm) rather than
from tarball.  If this presumption is true, wouldn't it be possible to create
a "kdelibs-core" package, and then separate "kdelibs-???" packages for some of
the other libraries that aren't critical to all of the apps, but that are used
by several.

That way we'd end up with something like 'caitoo' being dependant on
'kdelibs-core' and 'kdelibs-kio' packages, without users having to worry about
installing a whole whack of other stuff that they don't need?

Obviously, distributing some sort of "kdelibs-all" package would also be nice
as it'd provide a central spot for users to get all of the libraries, but for
those who didn't necessarily want everything this'd at least give them the
option to only install those libs that are absolutely necessary.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// f u cn rd ths, u r prbbly a lsy spllr.