List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The filedialog, please read
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       1999-11-04 15:09:25

OK I am not going to quote all the points that have been made and then
systematically try to win the debate.  :)

KFileDialog is a nice attempt.  I'm not saying it can't be a great dialog.
But the simple fact is _right now_, it is _broken_.  And it has been
broken for _ages_.

QFileDialog is _not_ broken.

These are the facts.  Now, if someone is going to fix up KFileDialog to be
_good_, and before the end of November, then great.   Let's keep it.  But
let's set some sort of deadline.  If the hacking doesn't get done, no
finger pointing, no whining, clearly the KDE project doesn't have the
spare cycles to handle the issue.  And at that point I don't see why using
QFileDialog is such a bad thing.  Reggie has offered to make it highly
customizable via sub-classing.  I mean, it's not like we won't have a
non-KDE programmer working on the frigging dialog.

I understand everone's concerns that we don't
want to "toss KDE"
in order to use all the "Qt Windows-alike" stuff.  But what happened to
the KDE core rules?  Let me paste them here for reflection:

Get it done NOW!
Focus!
Use available tools rather than reinventing existing ones!
When making a suggestion, change "we should.." to "I will.."; grandiose
   plans are useless unless you are willing to put in the work.
Improve iteratively.
Start with reasonable functionality and configurability and then improve
   over time.

Does it strike anyone that we are getting away from these points more
these days than ever before?  It does to me.  That will lead to another
e-mail I have to send in a little while, but let me let this one sink
in first...

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.