List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: KServiceTypeProfile broken?
From:       weis <weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de>
Date:       1999-11-04 13:34:37

Hi,

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > Indeed. At my university they install and remove software as
> > they like.
> > Sometimes I have gv, sometimes not, then I use ghostview. The idea
> > of setting numbers was to say: If available I prefere gv, otherwise
> > ghostview and the rest I really dont like.
> >
> > if you only store the name of the preferred service then you dont
> > know what to do if this preferred service is not available.
> >
> > I had another szenario. You travel with your notebook from office
> > to office and you use services installed on the offices network, like
> > printer services, additional applications etc.
> > Giving only a preferred service now is a problem since in different
> > offces you have different services installed. KDE could in
> > such a szenario
> > pick the best apps out of the available ones.
>
> Ahah. Ok, got it.
>
> > If you think that is too complicated for the user, then put the
> > "one preferred service" in the GUI and set one preference to 1 and
> > all other ones to 0. No need to remove the flexible approach of
> > usingt numbers.
>
> Or an intermediate approach : a list with 'move up' and 'move down' buttons.
> The functionality would be there, but no numbers would appear.
>
> > But the most important point is not to save preferences in the
> > services or servicetypes .desktop files!
>
> Then there still the issue of :
> user X installs acroread and kghostview. Before he uses the 'filetypes'
> program,
> i.e. there is NO profile for that user, which one do you pick up ??
>
> That's why I thought of a preference value in the service .desktop file,
> so that when installing an acroread and a kghostview .desktop files,
> we say as well that kghostview is preferred by default - until the
> user decides otherwise in this profile.

No no, please not :-) Do you know the star office decease ?
They install their KDE .kdelnk files and suddenly all kind of
mimetypes is associated with StartOffice. Therefore I suggest something
else: If the user requests a preferred service for some mimetype for
the first time and there is no preference, then we choose one by random
and save it as the preferred one. Wether that is the prefect solution
we can not know, but at least it makes shure that after installing new
software still the same app pops up as before!

Usually you have only 1-2 apps for one service installed. Picking the
correct one by random is very likely. So the dummy user learns
the one we have chosen by random. Now somebody installes new software
with a preferred=10 in the services *.desktop. Suddenly the user
is confronted with new software that he does not know how to use.
Usually not what it should be like ...

Bye
Torben