List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: KServiceTypeProfile broken?
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-04 13:25:59

> Indeed. At my university they install and remove software as
> they like.
> Sometimes I have gv, sometimes not, then I use ghostview. The idea
> of setting numbers was to say: If available I prefere gv, otherwise
> ghostview and the rest I really dont like.
>
> if you only store the name of the preferred service then you dont
> know what to do if this preferred service is not available.
>
> I had another szenario. You travel with your notebook from office
> to office and you use services installed on the offices network, like
> printer services, additional applications etc.
> Giving only a preferred service now is a problem since in different
> offces you have different services installed. KDE could in
> such a szenario
> pick the best apps out of the available ones.

Ahah. Ok, got it.

> If you think that is too complicated for the user, then put the
> "one preferred service" in the GUI and set one preference to 1 and
> all other ones to 0. No need to remove the flexible approach of
> usingt numbers.

Or an intermediate approach : a list with 'move up' and 'move down' buttons.
The functionality would be there, but no numbers would appear.

> But the most important point is not to save preferences in the
> services or servicetypes .desktop files!

Then there still the issue of :
user X installs acroread and kghostview. Before he uses the 'filetypes'
program,
i.e. there is NO profile for that user, which one do you pick up ??

That's why I thought of a preference value in the service .desktop file,
so that when installing an acroread and a kghostview .desktop files,
we say as well that kghostview is preferred by default - until the
user decides otherwise in this profile.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer