List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop render code updated
From:       Matt Koss <koss () post ! sk>
Date:       1999-10-25 9:45:09

On Po, 25 okt 1999, you wrote:

>Size should not be a problem for KConfig as it uses a tree structure now to
>store it's keys.

Exactly.

>Notice the IMO which I wrote... (in MY opinion)

Better to use IMHO :-))

>> I agree that some of the wallpaper tilings might not be used that widely as
the >> others, but the code for creation of tiling effects is very small and
you cannot >> call it "bloat" at all.

>I don't consider it code bloat, but rather ergonomic bloat. When a simple
>user wants to set a desktop wallpaper, does het really have to choose from
>10 different tilings?

The words "has to" are not appropriate. The choice is always a good thing.
This is solved by preselecting a default tiling mode ( e.g. Tiled ).
User doesn't have to touch a combo-box at all.
OTOH exactly because of this "ergonomic bloat" I have switched from radio
buttons to a combo box.

>> But randomizing is a feature that you should put back, otherwise I could not
>> accept your rewrite.
>> For me it's like you would take an old kpanel, add themeable buttons, but
>> remove docking feature. See the point ?
>
>Well, the kpanel point seems a little far taken, but I can see that you put
>effort in the random mode, and that I was somewhat rude to you in taking it
>out :)

No offense :-)
Little exaggeration sometimes help to persuade. Of course, I don't consider
the randomizimg feature to be on the same level as docking in kpanel at all.

Also, when I wrote that integrating xearth is not useful from my point of view,
it's not a complete truth.
Maybe I would not use xearth, but integration of programs that display
themselves on a desktop is a nice feature.
We were talking about it a while before on the mailing list, and I even wanted
to add some stuff to kcmdisplay for configuring such progs.
While you are into it now, I guess that you have thought about it too.
This might include screensavers running on desktop and all sorts of more
or less useful apps.

     Best regards

				Matt

--