List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop render code updated
From:       "Geert Jansen" <geertj () stack ! nl>
Date:       1999-10-25 9:14:30

Matt Koss wrote:

> I agree that current configuration files for kbgndwm are not the best solution,
> however, I couldn't think of anything else while still using KConfig class.
> Each desktop supports many wallpapers which can randomize, and we would need to
> use a hierarchical config file for keeping everything in the one file.
> This one file could then become very large ( depends on number of randomizing
> images ).

Size should not be a problem for KConfig as it uses a tree structure now to
store it's keys.

> >3. I stripped out a few modes that IMO were just bloat and not usefull.
> >Among these are the random mode and some wallpaper tilings. If people want
> >them back, that's fine with me, I can even do it, but it is my opinion that
> >more is not always better...
>
> Well, what can I say.
> I have spent some time to add the randomizing feature, and simply saying that
> it's just bloat and not usefull, while still saying that your solution supports
> xearth ( which is not useful from my point of view ), seems kind of strange to
> me.

Notice the IMO which I wrote... (in MY opinion)

> I agree that some of the wallpaper tilings might not be used that widely as the
> others, but the code for creation of tiling effects is very small and you cannot
> call it "bloat" at all.

I don't consider it code bloat, but rather ergonomic bloat. When a simple
user wants to set a desktop wallpaper, does het really have to choose from
10 different tilings?

> But randomizing is a feature that you should put back, otherwise I could not
> accept your rewrite.
> For me it's like you would take an old kpanel, add themeable buttons, but
> remove docking feature. See the point ?

Well, the kpanel point seems a little far taken, but I can see that you put
effort in the random mode, and that I was somewhat rude to you in taking it
out :)

I see that there is still demand for it so I gues I'll have to put it back..

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen,                                email: <geertj@stack.nl>
    Phylosopher and Physicist                      PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE