List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-10-11 10:42:13

"Martin R. Jones" wrote:

> Geert Jansen wrote:
> >
> > Steffen Hansen wrote:
[Snip]

> > Concerning the desktop background, I don't think we need to restart
> > kdesktop if it has crashed (I don't know about kdesktop's other uses).
> > If it crashes, it is a critical bug and should not be masked by restarting
> > it.
IMHO, the proper way to handle a desktop crash is with a dialog with
three
"Your desktop seems to be crashed. You really need it to properly
 run KDE apllications. Should I restart it?"
[No] [Yes] [Yes, and send bug report] [Help]

> > Would it be better to use RetainPermanent instead of RetainTemporary?
> > These resources cannot be deleted unless the server resets. And the
> > server resets when the users logs out, is that correct?

Yes. kdm (and xdm) reset the server after each logout.

> It also locks the screen - if its possible for a cracker to
> deliberately crash kdesktop this must be removed from here and a
> separate program (xscreensaver for example) used for locking.
>
> I brought this up once before, but got no response.  There's good
> reasons
> to keep locking in kdesktop, but if its unsecure it should be separated.

I don't see any problem in having the screen saver outside of kdesktop,
as a separate application. I think, for the user its the configuration
that counts and as long that's in the Kontrol center I don't see any
problems.

--
"If you don't agree with me,       Leon Widdershoven
 you haven't thought about it      (l.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de)