List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       "Martin R. Jones" <mjones () powerup ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-10-11 10:30:37

Geert Jansen wrote:

> Steffen Hansen wrote:
>
> > Kdesktop could do like kded:
> >
> > At startup register an X property on the root window.
> > It exit remove it.
> >
> > At startup, check if the property already exists. If it does, try to
> > invoke method on kdesktop's CORBA interface. If this succeeds, kdesktop is
> > already running, and there is no need for a second kdesktop -- exit.
> >
> > If the method invokation fails, there has been a kdesktop crash -- do some
> > cleanup and start normally. If the property isn't found at all, everything
> > is normal.
>
> Concerning the desktop background, I don't think we need to restart
> kdesktop if it has crashed (I don't know about kdesktop's other uses).
> If it crashes, it is a critical bug and should not be masked by restarting
> it.
> Would it be better to use RetainPermanent instead of RetainTemporary?
> These resources cannot be deleted unless the server resets. And the
> server resets when the users logs out, is that correct?

It also locks the screen - if its possible for a cracker to
deliberately crash kdesktop this must be removed from here and a
separate program (xscreensaver for example) used for locking.

I brought this up once before, but got no response.  There's good
reasons
to keep locking in kdesktop, but if its unsecure it should be separated.

--
Martin Jones
mjones@kde.org