List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: package split
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-10-03 18:43:38

My brief opinions/experiences (suffering email overload).

Why not make kppp available for download seperately from the kdenetwork package?
Surely less controversially than changing how things are packaged.

If things are going to broken up, then is it more work? and who is going to
volunteer to do it.

Competition is good, I'm looking forward to seeing release versions of
Magellan and Empath too. I think they deserve a fair go.

Elitism is bad, I _would_ be offended if KMail was completely removed from CVS
while I was actively working on it. I mean saying only one mail app should be
in cvs is a bit like saying only one desktop environment or one OS should be
installed.

At the moment we have zero, count 'em, zero, working mail clients for KDE 2 in
cvs. Part of this conversation is concerned with a hypothetical situation at
the moment.

I'm not aware of losing email when using kmail like Rik has. I'm only aware of
loosing 1 email in the past 6 months (and I don't think that was kmails
fault). I spent about 3 months using an auxillary email client to make sure
that kmail wasn't loosing mail. I know of other people using KMail (for
months) they haven't complained of loosing mail. I subscribe to email lists,
if I was loosing mail I would have thought it would have been obvious and easy
to check for by looking at the e-mail list archives.

In general there is a serious problem with how decisions are or rather aren't
made via this list, perhaps some kind of formal decision making process needs
to be put in place. Perhaps something worth discussing at the KDE 2 meeting
which I won't be attending (as I'm on the opposite side of the planet).

BFN,
Don.

Suffering a serious case of the idle applications receiving Signal 11 blues.