List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: package split
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-10-03 18:47:46

Harri Porten <porten@tu-harburg.de> wrote:

> A good example for discussing this topic.

right, there is too much duplication in the CVS packages. IMHO it would
be the best to decide which one we want to keep in the "main
distribution" and we should create alternative packages for the others
or drop them completely (not everything needs to be maintained in CVS).

examples:

kvt/konsole
kicker/kpanel
kcheckpass/kdesu
kedit/kwrite
kbiff/korn
krn/kexpress
kmail/empath
kpm/ktop
kjots/knotes

IMHO we should decide what variant to keep and either move the others
to other packages or drop them. It would be surely a good thing to keep
the most successful apps in CVS and drop the others (i.e. compare kvirc
with ksirc).

If we drop the duplicates we have much more package space that could be
filled with interesting programs that are currently distributed
separately. We should distribute programs for as many purposes as
possible and not trying to maintain so many duplicates.

comments ?

--
Dirk A. Mueller