List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: package split
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-10-03 21:51:27

Harri Porten <porten@tu-harburg.de> wrote:

> IRC client A, B and C should fairly compete. If A sucks and B is not
> maintained anymore C will make the race.

right, but how do we honor this if A, B and C are distributed equally?
If C makes the race, then C should be default and the others
alternatives, which could be installed additionally or alternatively.

On the other side, the more different files a user has to install, the
more difficult will it for him/her to figure out what's necessary or
what's suitable for his/her needs. So providing a poweful yet
userfriendly default is always a good way to go.

I.e. kvt is installed as well as konsole. As konsole is considered to
be better, why don't we install only konsole as default, but still
giving the user the choice by providing kvt ?

Userfriendly is both giving multiple ways of doing the same thing as
well as giving a default which can be easily figured out and used.

> Of course, duplicated efforts are not optimal but I strongly believe
> that the better app will win in the long run, i.e. it will receive the
> most attention and have future maintainers.

That's the point. We should remove the stuff that has been replaced by
a superiour app from default installation (making the "core"
distribution smaller, thereby easier to maintain for us and easier to
install for lowmem/lowspace systems) and provide them in some other
"themed" packages.

> A much stronger one IMO is the question why a KDE 1.1.1 user has to
> fetch a 3 MB kdenetwork package if he just wants to upgrade to kbiff
> from 1.1.2.

you see, we're talking about the same thing, but still from two
different viewpoints ;-)

--
Dirk A. Mueller