List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-09-29 21:15:54

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Mosfet wrote:

> > What about XSetCloseDownMode() ?
> > If I understand it correctly (I'm a X newbie) it can be used to retain all
> > resources after the conncection closes. It doesn't work on individual
> > resources, though. so it is kind of overkill but then again kdesktop isn't
> > suppose to crash.
>
> Eeek, no that is supposed to only be used debugging. The *last* thing you want
> is to have resources of *any* crashed application laying around. Also, you
> can't keep the data as Pixmaps then. Also, I think those resources will stay
> around unless if you use temporary.

No it isn't. kdmdesktop and xbanner for example use

XSetCloseDownMode( qt_xdisplay(), RetainTemporary);

To keep their colormaps on the server after the programs exit. Kdm
then cleans up with a

XKillClient( qt_xdisplay(), AllTemporary);

before logging the user in.

Kdesktop could do like kded:

At startup register an X property on the root window.
It exit remove it.

At startup, check if the property already exists. If it does, try to
invoke method on kdesktop's CORBA interface. If this succeeds, kdesktop is
already running, and there is no need for a second kdesktop -- exit.

If the method invokation fails, there has been a kdesktop crash -- do some
cleanup and start normally. If the property isn't found at all, everything
is normal.

greetings,
--
Steffen Hansen