List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: the MICO/CORBA issue.
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-09-18 9:39:17

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 09:22:17AM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IHMO we need a decision soon, and, more important, we need *code*.
Right.

I would have agreed with the shlib solution if this didn't require re-writing
the current apps. Separating apps and components in order to keep only
one KApplication per process is IMHO a pain for no big win.
Given what we currently have, improving the CORBA layer is indeed the way to go.
Yes, we'll have to convert apps from CORBA containers to QTL, but this doesn't include
re-designing them.
Hehe, Torben was right about this 4 months ago :)

> To make a beginning: I am (seriously) willing to stop my KDE development
> for a while and dive into MICO, in order to hack these bindings, *if* we
> decide for it, and *if* someone helps me :-)
Is there an application form ?
I volunteer especially for the script-writing needs (to convert apps). :)

> I would like to work in teamwork on this, as we should attempt to
> implement this *fast* IMHO, so the more volunteers we have, the faster we
> get the bindings, and the more time we have left for converting all our
> existing code...
Teamwork ? Oh that is so much unlike you (and me) !! :)))
[ Simon and I _love_ teamwork :) ]

> ...*if* noone objects and we decide for it :-)
Hmmm, how does a fast decision process takes place on a mailing-list ?
If nobody objects within 5 minutes we start ? :)

> <Come on, let's get things rolling>
>
> (citing from *some* known site ;-)))
<ignorant-mode>which ?</ignorant-mode>

--