List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KTabListBox
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-09-01 18:22:11

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> > > How can it be extended?
> >
> > You can either add child widgets above or below the main view (eg to add a
> > file info display or something)
>
> How can I do that? Sorry, but if it's possible, it's badly documented.
>
> > or you can 'swallow' the entire layout by
> > reimplementing the swallower() method.
>
> I really want to see how you do that. As far as I can see, swallower()
> is only used in the constructor, where it always equals 'this'. How
> would that method have any influence on the layout elsewhere?
>
> > The latter allows you to add new
> > widgets around the outside of the dialog (eg. a preview window). Another
> > option is to use the views in libkfile directly. You also have the option
> > of extending KDir to navigate new kinds of filesystem (even ones you made
> > up).
>
> And how can I tell KFileDialog about my KDir? And how would that work,
> since KDir has practically no virtual methods?
>
> Fine if KFileDialog has that many features. But if they are not
> documented, they are useless.

Well, most of the stuff Rich listed are only in the header and have
never
been implemented. But you _can_ extend it by overriding initGUI and
there
are applications that have already done that.

Don't know what Rich means with deriving KDir.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.