Bernd Gehrmann wrote: > > On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Richard Moore wrote: > > > >> - LOTS of flexibility about how it can be subclassed. Much more so than > > > >> QFileDialog, especially in terms of how the UI can be extended. > > > > > > How can it be extended? > > > > You can either add child widgets above or below the main view (eg to add a > > file info display or something) > > How can I do that? Sorry, but if it's possible, it's badly documented. > > > or you can 'swallow' the entire layout by > > reimplementing the swallower() method. > > I really want to see how you do that. As far as I can see, swallower() > is only used in the constructor, where it always equals 'this'. How > would that method have any influence on the layout elsewhere? > > > The latter allows you to add new > > widgets around the outside of the dialog (eg. a preview window). Another > > option is to use the views in libkfile directly. You also have the option > > of extending KDir to navigate new kinds of filesystem (even ones you made > > up). > > And how can I tell KFileDialog about my KDir? And how would that work, > since KDir has practically no virtual methods? > > Fine if KFileDialog has that many features. But if they are not > documented, they are useless. > Well, most of the stuff Rich listed are only in the header and have never been implemented. But you _can_ extend it by overriding initGUI and there are applications that have already done that. Don't know what Rich means with deriving KDir. Greetings, Stephan -- Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler. zdnet.com about Torvalds