List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    icon locations
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-08-28 16:22:40

Hi!

I need feedback on an issue I'm thinking about.
The recent additions of large and hicolor icons
make it even more important to have a decent icon

Currently we have share/icons/* and then we have
large and mini. I think, we should get rid of all
icons in share/icons and move them to directories
instead. So we'd have

share/icons/locolor
share/icons/hicolor
share/icons/large
share/icons/mini

and no icons itself in share/icons. What we would
need is a way to let KIconLoader pick the best
default. This way it would even be very easy to
introduce alternative icon schemes (say other window
managers come with a decent collection...).

A similiar scheme would then be introduced in
share/toolbar, but there the problem isn't as
urgent as we only have one scheme right now.

What do you think? The biggest consequence would
be that I'd rename all appname.xpm to lo-appname.png
and copy the icons from the 1.1 branch to hi-appname.png
and large-appname.png. Almost the complete rest would
be done by am_edit which already has support for

KDE_ICON = appname build in.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.