List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KStdAccel for completion
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       1999-08-24 11:02:00

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 01:00:51AM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid I haven't answered this yet %-/
>
> > > uh, I think the Trolls set Ctrl-A to "beginning of line" (and
> > > appropriately Ctrl-E to "end of line" in all text-based widgets.
> >
> > Thanks for pointing this out.
> >
> > Will every shortcut define in QLineEdit stop us from using it ourselves
> > ? Ctrl-F is for example used to move the cursor forward while we define
> > it as an accelerator for find.
>
> I guess it depends on focus. If some Qt widget uses Ctrl-F for for "cursor
> forward", it will get the keyevent first and most probably accept it.
>
> It would be nice to have a way to redefine all of Qt's accelerators, but
> I'm afraid this is not feasible without subclassing all affected widgets.

And even subclassing all the widgets is IMO no good way to solve
the problem.

We would then end up in a complete mess, where we have apps that
use our widgets with our bindings, and apps that use Qt's widgets.

IMO the only way that makes sense is to use Qt's standard bindings
and add our own for the keys that are unused.

--Stefan