List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SERIOUS TOPIC *PLEASE READ!* Dropping current LOCOLOR-icons!(fwd)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-07-31 11:11:21

Glen Parker wrote:

> Highcolor icons... Cool ;-)
>
> > In addition we are planning to provide an additional set of
> > 40-color-icons that would have to be downloaded *optionally*.
> > That would mean that all 32x32-pixel-icons that are currently part
> > of the CVS-tree would be removed (I already did this for
> > kdegraphics) from the curent modules!
>
> But why remove the 40-color icons from cvs?  I don't understand the
> reasoning there.
> Maybe there should be a configure option, like '--with-lowcoloricons' or
> something, so people who compile/install KDE from source can choose at
> compile time?

And what would it do? Are you going to patch all the Makefiles?
My suggestion is this: go and replace the locolor icons in the 1.1
branch
as noone here is willing to do all the extra work that is required to do
this
now correctly (I highly blame the artists not coming up with something
earlier, so we had a chance to find a solution).

In HEAD we will then have the low and hicolor icons side by side and
am_edit
will handle all gracefully ("KDE_ICON = AUTO" is your friend ;) and for
the 1.1.2 release we will provide a tarball with the locolor icons that
can
be unpackaged in the right directory and overwrite the hicolor icons.
Every-
thing else is too much work and I'm not willing to even check out the
1.1
branch as I want to stabilize the HEAD branch (and now that the
background
pixmaps work again... ;)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Better give your hours some more life than
your life some more hours. - anonymous